Wednesday, June 30, 2010

After my Surgery.


Not a pretty sight, I must say.
and I'm waiting for Tommy to take us home.

January 23rd. 2010.
Surgery went well, according to Dr.Chin, but I really did not have a good time during my three day stay. I did write a letter, describing my stay and handed it to Dr.Chin at a later time so I do hope it was followed-up on by the hospital board.

February 8, 2010.
Catheter removed by Dr.Chin and the surgery pathology report gone over. Dr.Chin is concerned that a bit of cancer might have escaped and is recommending an appointment with a oncologist to discuss a radiation treatment. Side effects from the surgery include incontenence (total lack of control) and more fatigue.

Here is my pathology Report, from after surgery:

Gleason Score: cannot be determined due to hormone therapy effects.
Extraprostatic Extension:
present, left radial, multifocal
present, left basal, multifocal
Resection Margins:
Apical: involved by invasive carcinoma, multifocal
Bladder Neck: involved by invasive carcinoma, unifocal on left side.Other: non-tumoural prostatic present at resection margin.
Perineural Invasion: present.
Seminal Vesicle Invasion: absent
Lymphovascular Invasion: absent
Lymph Node Status: no malignancy in regional lymph nodes
Additional path. findings:
high grade prostatic intraepithelial neoplasia

Pathology Stage: yp T3a NO MX

February 26, 2010.
Appointment with a likable Dr. G.Bauman who did suggest radiation but my concern with that was my still ongoing incontinence. It seems that whatever level I'm at (still leaking quit a bit) that it could remain that way for the rest of my life, once radiation is started. Based on that, we agreed to postpone the start of 33 treatments until May 10th. Meanwhile he did give me another 90 day Lupron shot. More hot flashes, more fatigue, more weight gain, more mood swings but hey, were on the right track to kill this cancer, or so I'm told.

March 18th.
First PSA test since surgery with the results of ;0.03 !!! YAHOO !!

Started a Facebook page for bikers with prostate issues at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=382971347712

IMRT to start on May10. Going to get 33 units of "Intensity Modulated RadioTherapy" or IMRT. Often this is done with "Image Guided RadioTherapy"(IGRT)IGRT uses imaging tools like ultrasound to see exactly where the prostate was located. This is done each day before treatment.

**********************************************************************

Thirty three trips to London could get rather boring so I needed something to do while driving. Then it hit me, why not take a picture or two each day, sort of a travelogue of the daily journey. The intend was to take a photo every 3 kilometers but there just wasn't anything interesting at each 3 km. mark so I did have to make some allowences.

So here we go. Ready for the ride?
.