Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Hopefully it's over for a long time.

Not having to get up and make ready to drive to London today is almost like the first day of some scheduled summer holidays. Apparently it will take a couple of weeks for my body to settle down as it attempts to get back to normal, whatever that is supposed to be. My next appointment with Dr. J.Chin will be in August and I'll do a PSA two weeks prior, so we should have a pretty good picture of what, if any, needs to be done next.

Meanwhile, Debbie and I can continue to spend as much time on our sailboat and ride our Goldwing when the weather permits.

I can't believe it. I'm DONE !!.

No more daily trips to London, Ontario !
Ask me if I'm happy. Yes, go ahead and ask.

This week went well. Only a bit of bowel problems, some fatigue but not enough to stop me from driving myself. Still NO libito, NONE, still have hot flashes and I've got no zip, likely caused by my testosterone level of 0.6 instead of being inside a range of 7.0 - 38.0 nmol/L. Just another result from being on the hormone treatment of  Lupron.

Speaking of driving, the hospital is 220 km. round trip. Total trips were 35, as in, 33 for radiation, 1 for the initual consult with the rad. guy and then the one for the tattooing marks.

Out of the 35 trips, 31 were in my car, 2 on the motorcycle and two in a friends car because it needed servicing in the same city. My car shows 6940 additional kilometers since the start of the radiation.

Debbie went with me on Thursdays, including the last day today. Went for a nice lunch and she had champagne on ice for that evening. Her support has been so vital during this last year and now hopefully we can start relaxing a bit more.

Life will soon be good again !

A few after thoughts:
My overall experience, although quit frightning at first, was not as bad as I first imagined. Never having been inside any hospital in my first 71 years was scary. The operation to remove my prostate, most certainly was not enjoyable, but in all cases, the dedicated people who work in our healthcare system, really do care. In particular, I would like to thank all those who were involved in my radiation treatment. Right from Dr. Glen Bauman, the reception ladies at the check-in, to all those who work in the radiation department.
You are always smiling and I've got to tell you all:
 
                                    That is so much appreciated

                          and Jerry Baljeu, Thanks You Very Much!

No comments:

Post a Comment